Friday 7 January 2011

IPRM Conference in Kagawa, Japan 2010


This conference was a highlight of 2010 for my PhD studies. Woke up early in the morning to catch a plane from Heathrow to Dubai (DXB) before boarding at early hours of morning for Narita Airport in Japan..it was looooong journey on the plane, reaching Japan in the evening mind you if travel from west to east you kinda lose a day along the way. Soon after touch down and take care of Immigration issues, boarded a train to a hotel nearby at Narita City center.

The next morning boarded a train to Tokyo Train station for my booking with Bullet Train (Shinkassen), from Tokyo to Okayama, about six hours which means travelling the length of the country..I should have booked for Kansai City Airport in Osaka, anyway i wanted to see the country since i had a day before the conference.

So i stayed awake with huge jetlag hanging over my head. I admired the smooth ride in a world fastest train reaching speeds that will make Jumbo Jet fly away. Stopped ocassionally along the way, Yokohama, Kyoto, Osaka, to Okayama. The luck on my side did not wait long for a train "Mariner" that goes to Kagawa through some islands in the sea of Japan. Railroad on bridges with longest of spans, mind you it give you a thought of how much people laboured to put every bolt and a nut to hold this humongous structure. I came to a conclusion "smallest of living make the hugest of things".

Sunday passed as quickly as it came. On monday morning i had a presentation in the world stage. Room full of knowledgeable people (Professors and Doctors and PhD students) from all over the world sitting quitely listening to world novel research findings on Photonics. When my slot came, I climbed up the stage and presented my recent results on Quantum dot lasers operating at 1500nm wavelength grown on (100) facet of InP substrate. The Question came went and after final clapping had dissipated from the room i went to prepare for my next presentation that was on a poster. This was on Quantum well devices also operating at this 1500nm wavelength.


Days quickly passed and had time to travel to Osaka and stayed there for few days at Monterey Grasmere hotel in Osaka city center. The only negative about this trip was the food.. Plenty to eat if you don't have religious restriction..But God showed me a buffet restaurant at Osaka Port, the only problem was it Osaka Port was about three train changes from the hotel.

I had a two weeks Bullet Train Travel ticket so i went everywhere. Trip to Hiroshima was well worth it..I will never forget the bowl of rice and fish at Hiroshima Mall.

One thing i noticed, Apart from me I spotted two other africans in the whole conference..and none was representing African University or a african company..It is sad but true.

No comments:

Post a Comment